Thursday 20 September 2007

Walking out



There's a moment in Spanish Train when I walk out of the theatre and Leen does nothing. I love that waiting. You know Tim went out of the room earlier and what did we do. We waited for him to come back. I go outside and count to 45 seconds. I did it twice in Glasgow to tell the bar to be quieter with the bottles. I do it a lot working with students. Sort it out yourself I'm going for a walk. I wonder if I ask you 'How do you spell Dr Zhivago?' and then go for a walk. I walk out of the Fire Exit and appear on the grass outside. Maybe in a big coat. Snow in the wind. I wanted to have Dr Zhivago in Last Supper or Boris Pasternak. But I couldn't find out his last words. It's such an amazing story. He won the Novel Prize for Literature but he couldn't collect the award because if he left the Soviet Union he wouldn't be able to come back. He didn't go.

No comments: