Friday 21 September 2007

Dear John

Dear John

I'm sorry to tell you this
And I'm sorry that I have to tell you in this way
This is the hardest letter to write
And the hardest letter to read

I can't go on like this any more
I can't stop pretending
I can't go on with this facade
We've become like strangers you and I

You don't listen to me anymore
We used to share everything
But now I feel like you're a closed book
A brick wall

And for once
I want you to listen to me
There's so much I want to say
And so little time to say it

You are my audience
You will pay attention
You will not move
You will not speak


We talk about how the Dear John letter is not a suicide note but an end of relationship note. The end of a relationship between Mole and Tim, Andrew and George, Tim and the audience. 'You' moves from John to Mole to Tim to audience. The brick wall is an invisible wall. The fourth wall. Which we are building and destroying, building and destroying. The hardest wall to build and the hardest wall to knock down.

No comments: