Monday 17 September 2007

Silhouette


4.50pm

On this side of the stage is a screen. Quite high. 8 feet. It's made of some opaque material. Possibly paper. So when a light shines behind the screen all you can see is a silhouette you can't actually see my face. And for me this screen this space behind the screen represents a space that is neither onstage nor offstage it's a limbo space in between where you're not actually performing you're preparing to perform reality theatre and on this side it's a similar size screen but it's not opaque its made of a solid material so you can't see through it and so at some point it's just at the moment before Club Tropicana plays I'm standing on this stool behind the screen and the silhouette gives the impression that I'm being tortured or hung and I'm struggling to stay on the stool possibly because the legs are being slowly taken away. It's also evocative of an image of torture at Guantanamo Bay. A man standing like this with a hood on his head. I could be holding on to the rope but I'm not sure.

No comments: