Monday 17 September 2007

The end of the beginning

I think the most important moment was when you said 'That bit you made me do...' and that playing with time. Who is the you? I like the duality of 'you' being me and 'you' being the audience. I think we have started to make work that is not afraid of being conscious of where it takes place. And that the journey begins outside the space. We have found a beginning. We have found a voice for the beginning. We have found a space for the beginning. Onstage / offstage. That in between space. The control room. The cockpit. I like the 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. We've opened up the space. I wonder if we should have an aisle in the middle. Or two seats next to each other then an empty seat. Let the auditorium correspond to a seating plan in an aeroplane. We walk across the space with a paper aeroplane when we hear aeroplanes outside. I've been thinking about liminality. About pre-liminal and post-liminal spaces. A conceptual space which you are physicalising. I am thinking of the beginning as a threshold. Maybe you have one foot on one side and one foot on the other. I am thinking about the airport as a liminal space. As a point of departure and arrival. As the end of the beginning.

No comments: